• Can I get covered?

Hi, stumbled across you guys and was very impressed with your website.

I'm going on a 8-month trip abroad and wanted to know if I could get my camera covered:
    • The body was bought new in May 2016
    • The body's receipt is in my dad's name
    • The lens was bought separately (new) in 2017
    • I am going on an 8-month worldwide trip
    • The camera body was bought for £950 and the body was bought for £225

I also have two phones that I don't think can be covered:
    • One was bought refurbished this year
    • One has a cracked screen, bought this year

For your travel insurance:
    • Does it extend for prolonged trips i.e. 8 months?
    • Can I declare medication? I take a ventolin inhaler (very rarely) but am not diagnosed with asthma or any other conditions.
    Best answers below
  • Hi, stumbled across you guys and was very impressed with your website.

I'm going on a 8-month trip abroad and wanted to know if I could get my camera covered:
    • The body was bought new in May 2016
    • The body's receipt is in my dad's name
    • The lens was bought separately (new) in 2017
    • I am going on an 8-month worldwide trip
    • The camera body was bought for £950 and the body was bought for £225

I also have two phones that I don't think can be covered:
    • One was bought refurbished this year
    • One has a cracked screen, bought this year

For your travel insurance:
    • Does it extend for prolonged trips i.e. 8 months?
    • Can I declare medication? I take a ventolin inhaler (very rarely) but am not diagnosed with asthma or any other conditions.
    Best answers below

• Best Answer

Hi @Slangley!

That's a lot of points, I'll try to make sure I answer everything!

In terms of going on a trip, that's not a problem- as long as you remain a UK resident, BMU will cover you worldwide.

- Even if the receipt is in another person's name, if you are now the owner e.g. it was gifted or sold to you, than BMU can still cover you
    - With cameras, I believe you could insure the body and lens as one item- bear in mind the cover limit is £1000 if you only buy 1 stuff though. Alternatively, you could buy a 2 stuff plan and insure them as separate items.

For the phones:
    - A refurbished phone can be covered, no problem! As long as you are the owner etc. as normal. Just remember BMU won't cover items for wear & tear or mechanical failure (whether refurbished or not).
    - If the phone has a cracked screen, as long as you show it as working (using pictures as you would for any item) I think BMU will cover the phone. Obviously you won't be able to claim for the existing damage!

For travel:
    - BMU will only cover for up to 31 days away at a time (that's from home address to home address).
    - There's a medical form to disclose existing medical conditions (that won't be covered).

I hope that's everything! Where are you going travelling to? 8 months sounds like a long trip! :O
  • Hi @Slangley!

That's a lot of points, I'll try to make sure I answer everything!

In terms of going on a trip, that's not a problem- as long as you remain a UK resident, BMU will cover you worldwide.

- Even if the receipt is in another person's name, if you are now the owner e.g. it was gifted or sold to you, than BMU can still cover you
    - With cameras, I believe you could insure the body and lens as one item- bear in mind the cover limit is £1000 if you only buy 1 stuff though. Alternatively, you could buy a 2 stuff plan and insure them as separate items.

For the phones:
    - A refurbished phone can be covered, no problem! As long as you are the owner etc. as normal. Just remember BMU won't cover items for wear & tear or mechanical failure (whether refurbished or not).
    - If the phone has a cracked screen, as long as you show it as working (using pictures as you would for any item) I think BMU will cover the phone. Obviously you won't be able to claim for the existing damage!

For travel:
    - BMU will only cover for up to 31 days away at a time (that's from home address to home address).
    - There's a medical form to disclose existing medical conditions (that won't be covered).

I hope that's everything! Where are you going travelling to? 8 months sounds like a long trip! :O

• Hi @Slangley,

Great to hear you like our website - thanks!
    @smileyharry has covered most the points there for you, (thanks!)

To give a bit more info about the phone with a cracked screen, we will insure a phone with a cracked screen (as often these phones are still functional), however we will not cover a claim for damage associated to those cracks. For example, we wouldn’t cover a claim for liquid ingress as a result of the crack even if the liquid ingress happened during the period of insurance.
  • Hi @Slangley,

Great to hear you like our website - thanks!
    @smileyharry has covered most the points there for you, (thanks!)

To give a bit more info about the phone with a cracked screen, we will insure a phone with a cracked screen (as often these phones are still functional), however we will not cover a claim for damage associated to those cracks. For example, we wouldn’t cover a claim for liquid ingress as a result of the crack even if the liquid ingress happened during the period of insurance.

• Also, a bit more clarity on your medical question @Slangley

There is no need for you to declare what medication you take. Providing you meet our UW criteria, we are happy to insure all customers between 17-49 on our core policy, but we are unable to pay any claims related to a pre-existing medical condition.
  • Also, a bit more clarity on your medical question @Slangley

There is no need for you to declare what medication you take. Providing you meet our UW criteria, we are happy to insure all customers between 17-49 on our core policy, but we are unable to pay any claims related to a pre-existing medical condition.