• Film Review (No spoilers): Star Wars The Last Jedi

I won't put any spoilers in here, just in case you haven't seen it yet (but, why haven't' you, seriously!?) :P

A friend of mine put how most people feel really well: "As a film, it was fantastic; as a Star Wars episode it was OK"

I think there is only one main reason for why there is this big divide. Episode VIII is different to all the Star Wars films we've seen so far. Initially, I admit, I was underwhelmed because all the tropes we've come to expect from Star Wars were absent- "so and so is related to so and so", "this means this", "there's a big reveal about this character's backstory".

"I am your father" was the biggest secret in movie history and is still an iconic line. After the copycat feel of Episode VII, it may have been a bit easy to recreate the original trilogy beat-for-beat. Episode VIII is refreshing the Star Wars we all know and moving on. This has to be a good thing, right? We couldn't go trilogy after trilogy watching the same films in different skins.

Has anyone else seen it? Have you formed an opinion? Best or worst, film ever!?
  • I won't put any spoilers in here, just in case you haven't seen it yet (but, why haven't' you, seriously!?) :P

A friend of mine put how most people feel really well: "As a film, it was fantastic; as a Star Wars episode it was OK"

I think there is only one main reason for why there is this big divide. Episode VIII is different to all the Star Wars films we've seen so far. Initially, I admit, I was underwhelmed because all the tropes we've come to expect from Star Wars were absent- "so and so is related to so and so", "this means this", "there's a big reveal about this character's backstory".

"I am your father" was the biggest secret in movie history and is still an iconic line. After the copycat feel of Episode VII, it may have been a bit easy to recreate the original trilogy beat-for-beat. Episode VIII is refreshing the Star Wars we all know and moving on. This has to be a good thing, right? We couldn't go trilogy after trilogy watching the same films in different skins.

Has anyone else seen it? Have you formed an opinion? Best or worst, film ever!?
  • @smileyharry So I have been to see the new Star Wars film - I have to say I am not a die-hard Star Wars fan but I do like the original films.

The new versions have been hit and miss for me - I liked Rogue One as it was a different story line. I struggled with this new one though - I felt that not much happened it terms of story line apart from one thing at the end so not that impressed... and to be honest it has put me off going to see anymore of the new films now! It was very long considering that the plot didn't seem to move on very far.

I know what you mean about the divide though, some of my friends/family loved it and others not so much.
  • @smileyharry So I have been to see the new Star Wars film - I have to say I am not a die-hard Star Wars fan but I do like the original films.

The new versions have been hit and miss for me - I liked Rogue One as it was a different story line. I struggled with this new one though - I felt that not much happened it terms of story line apart from one thing at the end so not that impressed... and to be honest it has put me off going to see anymore of the new films now! It was very long considering that the plot didn't seem to move on very far.

I know what you mean about the divide though, some of my friends/family loved it and others not so much.