• Middle-Earth TV Series

It's official!

There's going to be a 'Lord of the Rings adaptation for Amazon as a TV series. The first thing I should make clear is (thankfully) this is new ground. Peter Jackson's LotR films don't need to be done again (it would be nice to add Tom Bombadil in maybe?)
    Those films (even if you didn't like The Hobbit) are the best films and are still passionately watched, it would be a "fool of a Took" who messed with this story! :P

It isn't clear yet, when they will be set but the prevailing rumour is between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings- a period recently explored by the Shadow of Mordor games. When/where/who do you think the story will follow? Do you think the Tolkein Estate will allow much impact on the world held in such high regard?

Source: Every news outlet in the world
  • It's official!

There's going to be a 'Lord of the Rings adaptation for Amazon as a TV series. The first thing I should make clear is (thankfully) this is new ground. Peter Jackson's LotR films don't need to be done again (it would be nice to add Tom Bombadil in maybe?)
    Those films (even if you didn't like The Hobbit) are the best films and are still passionately watched, it would be a "fool of a Took" who messed with this story! :P

It isn't clear yet, when they will be set but the prevailing rumour is between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings- a period recently explored by the Shadow of Mordor games. When/where/who do you think the story will follow? Do you think the Tolkein Estate will allow much impact on the world held in such high regard?

Source: Every news outlet in the world
  • @smileyharry that's AMAZING!! That is very exciting news for all Lord of the Rings fans.

Agree, we don't need a repeat, otherwise there is always a comparison, new is something to get excited about.

That's a very good question, I think they need to be careful if they choose to continue following specific characters, or whether they go off in a completely new direction with new characters again. Personally I think they should avoid linking too much with the films, what about you?
  • @smileyharry that's AMAZING!! That is very exciting news for all Lord of the Rings fans.

Agree, we don't need a repeat, otherwise there is always a comparison, new is something to get excited about.

That's a very good question, I think they need to be careful if they choose to continue following specific characters, or whether they go off in a completely new direction with new characters again. Personally I think they should avoid linking too much with the films, what about you?
  • @Dani_1 I think new characters are the way forward. Maybe a cameo from Ian McKellan but I wouldn't want to see new actors playing characters we already know (unless it's a flashback or something, maybe).

It has just been announced that Christopher Tolkein is resigning from the Tolkein Estate! He was the last real bastion strictly protecting the original material. I hope they continue to be careful with it but produce new high quality content. LotR should be as big, if not bigger, than Star Wars or Game of Thrones but it has been lady behind as it hasn't been able to grow- until now!

I think it would be a good time for new characters to be introduced but who? There are loads of other stories to tell from this time: the awkening of the Balrog and Balin's expedition into Moria; the war in the North between Dwarves and goblins; Harad falling into the influence of Sauron and what about the 2 blue wizards?

I've always said a good TV series would follow Sauron right through the fall of Numenor and the creation of the rings.
  • @Dani_1 I think new characters are the way forward. Maybe a cameo from Ian McKellan but I wouldn't want to see new actors playing characters we already know (unless it's a flashback or something, maybe).

It has just been announced that Christopher Tolkein is resigning from the Tolkein Estate! He was the last real bastion strictly protecting the original material. I hope they continue to be careful with it but produce new high quality content. LotR should be as big, if not bigger, than Star Wars or Game of Thrones but it has been lady behind as it hasn't been able to grow- until now!

I think it would be a good time for new characters to be introduced but who? There are loads of other stories to tell from this time: the awkening of the Balrog and Balin's expedition into Moria; the war in the North between Dwarves and goblins; Harad falling into the influence of Sauron and what about the 2 blue wizards?

I've always said a good TV series would follow Sauron right through the fall of Numenor and the creation of the rings.
  • @smileyharry Ah yes, that could work, but exactly.

Oh really? That's not very good timing then, or maybe Amazon will see it as perfect timing as they might get a bit more free reign!

Sounds like they have lots of options, let's hope they make it a good one. Could rival Game of Thrones if done well.
  • @smileyharry Ah yes, that could work, but exactly.

Oh really? That's not very good timing then, or maybe Amazon will see it as perfect timing as they might get a bit more free reign!

Sounds like they have lots of options, let's hope they make it a good one. Could rival Game of Thrones if done well.