• Painted Miniatures: Treelord

I won't go into too much detail about what this model is but I would like to show off the work I've done to complete it!
    Basically, these guys are a bit like Ents from Lord of the Rings. I wanted my army to be a bit different though so I've created a painting scheme to suggest their forest home has been burnt to a crisp. Rather than killing the mystical inhabitants though, they embraced the fire and wrath. They now venture from their home to seek revenge for the fallen forest!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171001_123642.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	886.5 KB 
ID:	804

I'm particularly happy with the base which shows many leaves already turned to ash and autumnal leaves, as yet untouched.

Name:	FB_IMG_1510509734355.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	805

Has anybody else been working on hobbies recently?
  • I won't go into too much detail about what this model is but I would like to show off the work I've done to complete it!
    Basically, these guys are a bit like Ents from Lord of the Rings. I wanted my army to be a bit different though so I've created a painting scheme to suggest their forest home has been burnt to a crisp. Rather than killing the mystical inhabitants though, they embraced the fire and wrath. They now venture from their home to seek revenge for the fallen forest!

Name:	IMG_20171001_123642.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	886.5 KB 
ID:	804

I'm particularly happy with the base which shows many leaves already turned to ash and autumnal leaves, as yet untouched.

Name:	FB_IMG_1510509734355.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	805

Has anybody else been working on hobbies recently?
  • Great imagination there to create what you wanted @smileyharry!

And painting skills, impressive - how long does it take you to paint these?

I am a little arty myself - I design tattoos for friends and family when I have the time, have a bit of a queue at the moment so I best get a move on!
  • Great imagination there to create what you wanted @smileyharry!

And painting skills, impressive - how long does it take you to paint these?

I am a little arty myself - I design tattoos for friends and family when I have the time, have a bit of a queue at the moment so I best get a move on!
  • This guy was my entire focus for a week so probably 15-20 hours at a steady pace while listening to an audiobook!
    I wish I could stay that focused all the time but I tend to have a couple of weeks hardcore and then don't do anything for a month! :P

Awesome, @Dani_1! Do you actually do the tattooing as well or pass the design over? What kind of things do you have to consider for tattoos compare to other pictures and designs? What's the best one you've done?
  • This guy was my entire focus for a week so probably 15-20 hours at a steady pace while listening to an audiobook!
    I wish I could stay that focused all the time but I tend to have a couple of weeks hardcore and then don't do anything for a month! :P

Awesome, @Dani_1! Do you actually do the tattooing as well or pass the design over? What kind of things do you have to consider for tattoos compare to other pictures and designs? What's the best one you've done?
  • Ah wow that is quite a long time then really @smileyharry, must have some good focus there.

That's fair enough, 1 week on 3 weeks off

No, just the designs at the moment, I'd love to learn to tattoo but just haven't got the time! I guess just where it is on the body really.
    Here's a couple of pics of drawings I've done (not my best but what I have on my phone!)

Name:	fairy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	643.4 KB 
ID:	806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamsa hand.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	807
  • Ah wow that is quite a long time then really @smileyharry, must have some good focus there.

That's fair enough, 1 week on 3 weeks off

No, just the designs at the moment, I'd love to learn to tattoo but just haven't got the time! I guess just where it is on the body really.
    Here's a couple of pics of drawings I've done (not my best but what I have on my phone!)

Name:	fairy.jpg 
Size:	643.4 KB 
ID:	806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamsa hand.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	807
  • Nice @Dani_1 they are really cool! :O

They must take a long time and a few attempts to perfect!?
  • Nice @Dani_1 they are really cool! :O

They must take a long time and a few attempts to perfect!?
  • Thanks @smileyharry and a few yes, but I can generally do them in an evening!
  • Thanks @smileyharry and a few yes, but I can generally do them in an evening!
  • @smileyharry How many of these miniature models do you own? Do you buy them 'black' and then paint them as you want depending on the scene you're setting up?
  • @smileyharry How many of these miniature models do you own? Do you buy them 'black' and then paint them as you want depending on the scene you're setting up?
  • Hey @Spicks! Now, that's a dangerous question! Must be a few hundred now with another hundred part-built or not started! :P

They all come as grey plastic but you can mix and match the kits, use modelling putty and any other measure you can imagine really to build the thing you want.

Here's an army I built for a tournament I ran (because there's a whole game that goes with it)!

Name:	IMG_20170917_165603.jpg 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	808
    My dudes are the ones on Martian red bases. This is a sci-fi style game rather than the fantasy of the tree dude.

Here are a couple of games in progress to give you an idea (it's a lot like chess but with dice rather than guaranteed taking of pieces).

Name:	IMG_20170917_114043.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	809
    Oh! And there is a Lord of the Rings version of the game too. I'll upload a photo of Smaug at some point if you'd like?
  • Hey @Spicks! Now, that's a dangerous question! Must be a few hundred now with another hundred part-built or not started! :P

They all come as grey plastic but you can mix and match the kits, use modelling putty and any other measure you can imagine really to build the thing you want.

Here's an army I built for a tournament I ran (because there's a whole game that goes with it)!

Name:	IMG_20170917_165603.jpg 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	808
    My dudes are the ones on Martian red bases. This is a sci-fi style game rather than the fantasy of the tree dude.

Here are a couple of games in progress to give you an idea (it's a lot like chess but with dice rather than guaranteed taking of pieces).

Name:	IMG_20170917_114043.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	809
    Oh! And there is a Lord of the Rings version of the game too. I'll upload a photo of Smaug at some point if you'd like?
  • @smileyharry Wow, that's pretty cool. Are you part of a group then? I've noticed a similar group getting together in a shop on Ashley Road in Parkstone where they have all these small figurines laid out. Its getting be a huge market and no doubt they'll crease in value over time.

Yes, upload Smaug. Would love to see him.
  • @smileyharry Wow, that's pretty cool. Are you part of a group then? I've noticed a similar group getting together in a shop on Ashley Road in Parkstone where they have all these small figurines laid out. Its getting be a huge market and no doubt they'll crease in value over time.

Yes, upload Smaug. Would love to see him.
  • @Spicks I've not really been over that way, my group is based in Lvl Up in Charminster but possibly!
    I think only well painted models increase in value! Lots of new people are getting into it now- it's a really rewarding hobby and it's cool to be geeky now! :P

I remembered, I already posted Smaug over here: https://community.backmeup.co.uk/thr...ghlight=models
  • @Spicks I've not really been over that way, my group is based in Lvl Up in Charminster but possibly!
    I think only well painted models increase in value! Lots of new people are getting into it now- it's a really rewarding hobby and it's cool to be geeky now! :P

I remembered, I already posted Smaug over here: https://community.backmeup.co.uk/thr...ghlight=models