• Dyson's driverless car

Happy Birthday Prince Charles! I saw just last week that the Prince was showing off his vacuuming skills in Singapore, trying out a Dyson in front of the world’s media. Who would have thought he would have known how to use a vacuum!
    Dyson have announced they are launching an electric car range in 2020, built using Dyson only components – and with “some driverless in it” according to founder Sir James Dyson.
    I wonder what the cars are going to look like – hopefully something as exciting and aesthetically pleasing as the vacuum! Doubt the Prince of Wales will be seen in one though…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...c-car-uk-2020/
  • Happy Birthday Prince Charles! I saw just last week that the Prince was showing off his vacuuming skills in Singapore, trying out a Dyson in front of the world’s media. Who would have thought he would have known how to use a vacuum!
    Dyson have announced they are launching an electric car range in 2020, built using Dyson only components – and with “some driverless in it” according to founder Sir James Dyson.
    I wonder what the cars are going to look like – hopefully something as exciting and aesthetically pleasing as the vacuum! Doubt the Prince of Wales will be seen in one though…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...c-car-uk-2020/
  • I saw his interview with Andrew Marr. As exciting as it sounds, he didn't give much away apart from answering the big question about what he wants to do with the airfield! Personally, I was hoping he was going to build the first UK spaceport! :P

Dyson (and he's said this himself) isn't creative in an original sense for example: vacuum cleaners aren't new and neither were air vortexes. In the same vein, cars aren't new am neither is electricity or the idea of self-driving.
    Where he comes into his own is bringing existing concepts together so I'm looking forward to what his team come up with!

I recommend reading Black box Thinking by Matthew Syed if you'd like a bit more detail around Dyson's story.
  • I saw his interview with Andrew Marr. As exciting as it sounds, he didn't give much away apart from answering the big question about what he wants to do with the airfield! Personally, I was hoping he was going to build the first UK spaceport! :P

Dyson (and he's said this himself) isn't creative in an original sense for example: vacuum cleaners aren't new and neither were air vortexes. In the same vein, cars aren't new am neither is electricity or the idea of self-driving.
    Where he comes into his own is bringing existing concepts together so I'm looking forward to what his team come up with!

I recommend reading Black box Thinking by Matthew Syed if you'd like a bit more detail around Dyson's story.
  • I agree, these are exciting times!

I must admit I'm still struggling to see how everyone is going to convert to driverless cars particularly in time for 2020 launch, but I guess only time will tell.

How does everyone else feel about no feet / hands / eyes driving in next few years?...would be good to get your views - exciting, scary or both?
  • I agree, these are exciting times!

I must admit I'm still struggling to see how everyone is going to convert to driverless cars particularly in time for 2020 launch, but I guess only time will tell.

How does everyone else feel about no feet / hands / eyes driving in next few years?...would be good to get your views - exciting, scary or both?
  • Tesla have just announced their launching electric cars and Uber will be launching flying cars for cab services in LA in 2020! Seems surreal but its only round the corner.....
  • Tesla have just announced their launching electric cars and Uber will be launching flying cars for cab services in LA in 2020! Seems surreal but its only round the corner.....
  • On the front of flying cars, we always seem to be 30 years away- and not just by Blade Runner standards! :P

2020? I'd be surprised but awesome if they do.

I think driverless if definitely the right way to do it. Imagine how much more time you'd have to do things! Also, the cars can me more fuel efficient and safer.
    A friend of mine mentioned that an employee at Tesla wrote the code for the car to have to decide between driving into a car on the wrong side of the road and a group of kids on the road but they're not allowed to say the decisions they made. That's quite scary because the decision has to be made potentially years in advance that basically decides who can get hurt on the road.

However, once all cars are running on (hopefully, at least compatible systems) cars will be able to interact so smoothly, there will never be any issues as long as the environment or people don't interact with the road.
  • On the front of flying cars, we always seem to be 30 years away- and not just by Blade Runner standards! :P

2020? I'd be surprised but awesome if they do.

I think driverless if definitely the right way to do it. Imagine how much more time you'd have to do things! Also, the cars can me more fuel efficient and safer.
    A friend of mine mentioned that an employee at Tesla wrote the code for the car to have to decide between driving into a car on the wrong side of the road and a group of kids on the road but they're not allowed to say the decisions they made. That's quite scary because the decision has to be made potentially years in advance that basically decides who can get hurt on the road.

However, once all cars are running on (hopefully, at least compatible systems) cars will be able to interact so smoothly, there will never be any issues as long as the environment or people don't interact with the road.
  • Would you have more time though? They say at the moment driverless cars would still need the person to be able to take over, in which case surely you would need to be paying attention....
  • Would you have more time though? They say at the moment driverless cars would still need the person to be able to take over, in which case surely you would need to be paying attention....
  • Good point @Dani_1, that seems a bit bad because if the driver is still responsible then they have to pay full attention? It just makes driving easier and then, on those hopefully increasingly rare occasions, when the car messes up*, the driver might be less aware than if they were in full control.

Seems like a recipe for fewer but potentially worse incidents?

*or if the car can't account for someone in a normal car driving really badly!
  • Good point @Dani_1, that seems a bit bad because if the driver is still responsible then they have to pay full attention? It just makes driving easier and then, on those hopefully increasingly rare occasions, when the car messes up*, the driver might be less aware than if they were in full control.

Seems like a recipe for fewer but potentially worse incidents?

*or if the car can't account for someone in a normal car driving really badly!
  • Yes, I've heard similar. Apparently the Driver can set who 'to save' in a journey in case of a collision. For example, if you have a child in the car you program the car to always avoid impacts to the back left hand side (if that's where your child sits) but in doing this you could be swapping a non-fatal collision to the left with a fatal to the right. All very worrying.... raises the whole 'IRobot Vs. Human' thinking... debates
  • Yes, I've heard similar. Apparently the Driver can set who 'to save' in a journey in case of a collision. For example, if you have a child in the car you program the car to always avoid impacts to the back left hand side (if that's where your child sits) but in doing this you could be swapping a non-fatal collision to the left with a fatal to the right. All very worrying.... raises the whole 'IRobot Vs. Human' thinking... debates
  • Wow... That's very enlightening. To be fair I think a lot of people, including myself, just thought driverless cars would mean no more accidents. Instead, it will actually be a planned course of action rather than shifting from impulsive human decisions in dangerous situations. :/
  • Wow... That's very enlightening. To be fair I think a lot of people, including myself, just thought driverless cars would mean no more accidents. Instead, it will actually be a planned course of action rather than shifting from impulsive human decisions in dangerous situations. :/