• iPhone 8 release

I'm sure you've heard that the iPhone 8 will be released mid-September, alongside the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7 Plus – only a couple of weeks away. Personally I love the iPhone's and would never consider changing to another brand, so I’m excited to see what the iPhone 8 is like.

As Apple is marking the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, there are rumours that the new iPhone might face a complete redesign – losing some of its current features such as the home button and introducing wireless charging, even facial recognition to replace the ID touch!

Anyone else excited about the changes and considering an upgrade to the iPhone 8 when it is released?
  • I'm sure you've heard that the iPhone 8 will be released mid-September, alongside the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7 Plus – only a couple of weeks away. Personally I love the iPhone's and would never consider changing to another brand, so I’m excited to see what the iPhone 8 is like.

As Apple is marking the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, there are rumours that the new iPhone might face a complete redesign – losing some of its current features such as the home button and introducing wireless charging, even facial recognition to replace the ID touch!

Anyone else excited about the changes and considering an upgrade to the iPhone 8 when it is released?
  • Apple? *Groan* :P
    Wireless charging on a phone is a good idea unless it takes up more space! USB-C is the way forward!

Getting rid of the home button sounds cool too but I hope all the buttons don't go because then what can you do when it crashes!?

Converting your face into an emoji* is apparently a thing they are working on but that sounds faddy. I might be getting old fashioned but it's more effort to make your phone interact with your face than your finger! Could people unlock your phone while you sleep? Apparently , the "pay-by-face" technology in China can tell if you use a photo though so that's a positive sign for the technology!

*This was leaked this morning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41220517
  • Apple? *Groan* :P
    Wireless charging on a phone is a good idea unless it takes up more space! USB-C is the way forward!

Getting rid of the home button sounds cool too but I hope all the buttons don't go because then what can you do when it crashes!?

Converting your face into an emoji* is apparently a thing they are working on but that sounds faddy. I might be getting old fashioned but it's more effort to make your phone interact with your face than your finger! Could people unlock your phone while you sleep? Apparently , the "pay-by-face" technology in China can tell if you use a photo though so that's a positive sign for the technology!

*This was leaked this morning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41220517
  • Are you not an Apple fan then @smileyharry?!

Yes, I'm not convinced about no home button, and I'm not even keen on the iPhone 7 home button but keen to see what the alternative would be!

Wow, sounds quite cool but surely quite difficult to get the right expressions so I think it sounds limiting. Interesting, they probably could - though they probably still could with the fingerprint system if you are a deep sleeper. Yes if they are going to introduce these features they need to make sure the security controls are in place and up to scratch.

Hadn't seen that about the leak - and we'll find the rest out from the event tomorrow I guess.
  • Are you not an Apple fan then @smileyharry?!

Yes, I'm not convinced about no home button, and I'm not even keen on the iPhone 7 home button but keen to see what the alternative would be!

Wow, sounds quite cool but surely quite difficult to get the right expressions so I think it sounds limiting. Interesting, they probably could - though they probably still could with the fingerprint system if you are a deep sleeper. Yes if they are going to introduce these features they need to make sure the security controls are in place and up to scratch.

Hadn't seen that about the leak - and we'll find the rest out from the event tomorrow I guess.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Dani_1 View Post
    Are you not an Apple fan then @smileyharry?!

Nope! I think they're marketing strategy is clever but very annoying! Google, Microsoft and even Amazon work together most of the time but Apple is incredibly restrictive! And they don't support their hardware with their OS for long enough! :P

You're right. These measures seem less secure and more convenient- just have to be careful!

I'll keep an eye out tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it either way!
    Are you not an Apple fan then @smileyharry?!

Nope! I think they're marketing strategy is clever but very annoying! Google, Microsoft and even Amazon work together most of the time but Apple is incredibly restrictive! And they don't support their hardware with their OS for long enough! :P

You're right. These measures seem less secure and more convenient- just have to be careful!

I'll keep an eye out tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it either way!
  • @smileyharry what do you think about the iPhone release then? an 8 and a 10!
  • @smileyharry what do you think about the iPhone release then? an 8 and a 10!
    @smileyharry what do you think about the iPhone release then? an 8 and a 10!
    Another year, another iPhone :P I don't think it's really a "big leap" it's still an iPhone with more pixels but it does look different though!
    Interesting as well that it's and iPhone 10, will there ever be a 9?

Fair play for Apple customers that they can get 4k movies without paying more than for HD, that sounds alright.

Was it what you were hoping for @Dani_1? Will you get the X?
    @smileyharry what do you think about the iPhone release then? an 8 and a 10!
    Another year, another iPhone :P I don't think it's really a "big leap" it's still an iPhone with more pixels but it does look different though!
    Interesting as well that it's and iPhone 10, will there ever be a 9?

Fair play for Apple customers that they can get 4k movies without paying more than for HD, that sounds alright.

Was it what you were hoping for @Dani_1? Will you get the X?
  • That is very true, but for everyone bought into the iPhone's it's still a nice upgrade.

I think it's because it's their 10th anniversary, I'm sure they will release a 9 at some point - wouldn't want to miss out on a sales opportunity.

It's nice to see a bigger change, however the price tag for the X is a HUGE jump! Bit out of my price range at the moment, maybe by the time my contracts up it will be cheaper.

You not tempted with it @smileyharry?
  • That is very true, but for everyone bought into the iPhone's it's still a nice upgrade.

I think it's because it's their 10th anniversary, I'm sure they will release a 9 at some point - wouldn't want to miss out on a sales opportunity.

It's nice to see a bigger change, however the price tag for the X is a HUGE jump! Bit out of my price range at the moment, maybe by the time my contracts up it will be cheaper.

You not tempted with it @smileyharry?
  • It's a nice phone @Dani_1, iPhones are smart and the combination of hardware and software being designed by the same people is good. I love my Pixel though. If I wanted an iPhone I'd have to go full Apple and get a printer and a Mac and TV... I like my Xbox, PC and Android phone at the moment.

Yeah, hopefully, there is the 'new tax' on it at the moment.
  • It's a nice phone @Dani_1, iPhones are smart and the combination of hardware and software being designed by the same people is good. I love my Pixel though. If I wanted an iPhone I'd have to go full Apple and get a printer and a Mac and TV... I like my Xbox, PC and Android phone at the moment.

Yeah, hopefully, there is the 'new tax' on it at the moment.
  • I've jumped back and forth between an IPhone and Samsung for the last few years but I have to say I'm a huge fan of...drumroll...my IPhone! Lots of posts doing the round on social media this weekend saying that the upgrades might be a step forward for Apple, but ultimately they're still struggling to keep up with smartphones in general.

The only thing I'm struggling with is space for all my pics and videos. My iCloud is full so looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy more space...is it worth it, or perhaps worth considering Google Drive?
  • I've jumped back and forth between an IPhone and Samsung for the last few years but I have to say I'm a huge fan of...drumroll...my IPhone! Lots of posts doing the round on social media this weekend saying that the upgrades might be a step forward for Apple, but ultimately they're still struggling to keep up with smartphones in general.

The only thing I'm struggling with is space for all my pics and videos. My iCloud is full so looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy more space...is it worth it, or perhaps worth considering Google Drive?